The world has gotten smaller. Shipping things used to be a gigantic trial. Options for shipping were limited. Shipping was either on a massive scale on container ships or it was sent ever so slowly in small packages. Shipping took 3 months or more. That’s no longer the case anymore. There are 18 classes of freight that can be shipped. Classifications are dependent on your weight and density and the dimensions of your freight. It also depends on how easy it is to handle and how expensive things are.
Freight shipping is a necessity of modern business. As the world has shrunk it’s allowed more people to use international items in their businesses. Where once it was absurd to think of a small businesses importing items from various countries across the world. Freight shipping companies are often referred to as logistics companies. They take into account “how” something needs to be accomplished. Shipping freight can be expensive or economical. It’s determined by a lot of factors. The weight of what is being shipped is important. The distance you are shipping things is a huge factor. The amount of items being shipped and the method of transport play a large role in the rates of your freight shipping. The class of your freight will affect the price. Generally higher classes of freight are more expensive. Higher classes are worth more, are more annoying to ship or are easily damaged through shipping. If a freight company is going to go through the effort of shipping your freight, they need to be compensated correctly for it.
There are three main types of shipments that can be sent Internationally.
- Courier Shipping - Courier shipping is the kind of international shipping most people are familiar with. Courier shipping refers to small packages being sent directly from person or business to another person or business. International courier shipping is a lot like the courier shipping domestically. Generally you ship things with a weight limit. It depends on the service you use, but you will deal with a weight limit.
- Container Shipping - Container shipping is the way individuals move large amounts or large items internationally. Containers are also commonly used when moving automobiles. Container shipping is excellent if you are moving somewhere internationally and you need to take things with you. Essentially you rent a container and then will place all your items into it. The container is placed on a ship and then will make its way down to the destination. You need to play ahead with container shipping. Container shipping is not for those without patience. Container shipping takes a long time to get to its destination. You need to be willing to ship your things before anyone else, or you need to be willing to wait for them to arrive.
- Pure Freight Shipping - Pure freight shipping is almost entirely commercial at this point. It’s the heavy shipping mentioned earlier. Bulk quantities are shipped through numerous crates, trains or through freight planes. International freight shipping is usually through business agreements or private clients.
Post Office Holidays
When people choose the standard post office to ship their packages through courier shipping, it’s good to remember that they take holidays too. Which days do they take off? Most of them would be expected. They are:
- The Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- The Birthday of George Washington
- Labor Day
- Independence Day
- Veteran’s Day
- Columbus Day