Quite often, individuals are overly excited by new and flashy fitness whims. In anticipation to try the newfound workouts, they tend to drift away from tested and proven ways like kayaking. Kayaking is a thrilling watersport that involves relatively tiny boats (kayaks) and a double-bladed oar to move across water bodies. To further enliven this watersport, kayaking is usually spiced up by other activities such as fishing or camping. Exercise-wise, kayaking helps provide an excellent upper body workout. Water-resistance experienced while paddling against ocean currents or calm waters provides strength-enhancing training for arms, back, chest, and shoulder muscles. While kayaking is great exercise, it also allows you to
Kayaking Equipment Needed
Kayaking for sports, workouts, or fun requires the following equipment:
- Paddles - A kayak paddle is a primary essential for propelling users far into the waters. They are different from canoe paddles as both ends have blades.
- Paddle leash - A paddle helps keep the paddle safe and secure by preventing it from drifting away due to water or wind waves.
- Dry bag - Dry bags are made of water-resistant material, protecting the user's clothing, mobile phone, camera, and other items from getting wet.
- Buoyancy accessories - A buoyancy aid plays the role of a life jacket while offering space for convenient movement of arms and neck that is needed when paddling.
- Helmet - Helmets protect kayaking enthusiasts from head injuries or injuries that may be occasioned by accidental paddle bashing.
- Throw ropes - They are essential for safety precautions. Throw ropes constitute a floating bag and a string that a rescuing expert throws to save a life during turbulent tides or a kayak experiences a mechanical hitch.
Kayaking Destination Vacations
Kayaking lovers in the USA have some of the best places to exercise and have fun while on a kayaking excursion. These places include:
- Arizona's desert lake - Whether for a solo or guided kayak vacation, Northern Arizona's lake Powell offers a breathtaking kayaking experience. Lake Powell's surroundings have ideal and deep canyons such as the Antelope Canyon. Lake Powell has the best view of beautiful sandstone cliffs with a package for an overnight kayaking trip.
- Florida’s Spring-Fed River - This river passes through the Rainbow Springs State Park, offering pristine shores ideal for kayaking. It is just 90 minutes drive north of Tampa in Florida. Along the shores of the river are spectacular views of remarkable cypress trees and sunning turtles.
- The Pacific Coastline in California - There is Monterey Bay, south of San Francisco, best known for kayaking vacations. Besides, it provides the platform to enjoy impressive views of the famed Cannery Row. Holidays around Monterey Bay are enjoyable owing to the beauty surrounding wildlife like humpbacks, sea lions, and seals.
Kayaking is among the most popular fun sporting activities during summer and spring. Owning a kayak is more economical than renting out one for a day or vacation. Even so, kayaks are not cheap. A simple kayak for starters costs averagely between $200 and $300. Top of the line kayaks for professional whitewater use or fishing expeditions cost between $1 000 and $4,000. The cost for professional kayaks is, however, inclusive of the needed equipment. Interestingly, there are inflatable kayaks that cost as little as $70. These are recommendable for temporary fun. Renting out a kayak is another option.