There is nothing quite like dating to stir up a whirlwind of emotions; everything from sheer excitement to utter nervousness. It doesn’t matter if you are new to dating or a seasoned dater there is always room for improvement in your dating skills. If you have been out of the dating game for a while you may be in for a shock when you realize that the bar is no longer the go to place to find a date and that there is new etiquette for how to date.
Where to Meet People
Meeting people can be challenging today. With busy lives full of work, school and other obligations it can be difficult to find the time to find a date. The dating scene and the narrative of relationships are changing, with many people waiting until they are personally stable with work and a place of their own before they look for a mate. This means that many people who are part of the dating scene are professionals, not looking to go clubbing or to the bar to meet someone. Many people are looking to be introduced to a friend of a friend or are going online to try and find someone.
If you feel as though you are in a bit of a rut when it comes to meeting someone it never hurts to broaden your horizons by trying something new. Joining a gym, sports team or club can allow you to meet new people with similar interests right off the bat.
One of the most popular ways to meet new people is to go online. People of all ages are online now looking for love. Online dating can be daunting, especially for those who are new to the whole idea. The first thing that you need to do is figure out what type of dating site you are interested in as there are many different segments within online dating.
Popular Dating Sites
There are many dating sites to choose from, including free and pay options. Some of the most popular dating websites include:
You can always sign up for more than one dating site, but keep in mind that monthly fees add up, and it can be difficult to manage multiple profiles. There are free sites as well, but you will have to deal with advertisements and your data being possibly shared with third-party sites.
It doesn’t matter what site you are signing up with it is important to keep your safety and online security your number one priority. It can be easy to get swept up in offers and promotions, but make sure to always read the fine print. You may be surprised to find out that by signing up for a certain dating site you are allowing personal information of yours to be shared. You should also use discretion when it comes to filling out your profile. You do not want to share too much of your personal information including details about where you work, where you live and your phone number. You should also make sure to check out the settings for the dating profile that you choose because some may have your entire profile open for anyone to view which is a threat to your privacy. You should also be wary of friending other users. Some people create fake accounts as a way of fishing for information or to hack your computer.
Creating A Positive Profile
There are a few tips to creating a profile that is secure, interesting and an accurate representation of who you are. You may read advice about how to create a clickable profile that will get you lots of views, but that isn’t necessary what you want. If you are looking to actually meet someone that you would like to date you should give an accurate representation of yourself, rather than what you think someone would want to read.
The first tip is to choose a good photograph of you to use as your profile picture. Although you may be tempted to use a picture of you from ten years ago, or an extra sexy photo this will most likely get you negative attention or attention from those you aren’t interested in. Stick to a classic picture of yourself, possibly one that shows you in your favorite place or doing an activity that you enjoy.
Fill out your profile to the best of your ability, but remember that this isn’t an essay about yourself. Keep it simple by writing about your hobbies, career and interests. This way you will still have something to talk about when you have your first date.
Make sure to make your profile positive and welcoming, as you will likely attract the same.
Online Dating Do’s and Don’ts
- Put your best face forward. Choose a flattering image of yourself and be friendly!
- Be cautious. You don’t have to respond to or go out with everyone that messages you.
- Stay secure. Don’t give out personal information, private photos, etc.
- Start Slow. Take the time you have to chat before meeting so that you can make sure that there is a bit of a spark there.
- Meet in a safe location. Since the person you are meeting is pretty much a stranger make sure to meet in a public location like a coffee shop or restaurant.
- Spam a bunch of potential suitors hoping that casting a large net will find you a catch sooner than later. This may find you a few first and second dates, but if you are really looking to make a connection only message those who you are interested in. Then if you hit it off online you can take it from there.
- Come across as needy. Send one message and if you don’t hear back in a given period of time move on.
- Lie. These lies will catch up with you when you meet in person or find out you know mutual people.
- Let online dating take over your life. Make time for checking your messages, looking up potential matches and updating your profile, but after a certain amount of time has gone by move on to something else.
- Play head games. If you are willing to do the work of online dating why make it more difficult for yourself. If you don’t like someone move on and if you do move forward.
Online dating is a fun way to meet new people from the comfort of your own home, allowing you to make rational decisions about who to possibly date. Go into online dating with a level head and you will get to meet interesting people, go on a few dates and who knows… maybe meet the person of your dreams!